- 1 What is RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol)
- 2 How to connect to RDP with Windows PC
- 3 How to connect to RDP with Mac
- 4 How to connect to RDP with Phone or Tablet
- 5 How to Connect to RDP with TLS 1.0 Disabled
- 6 How to lock down RDP on your VPS to just your IP
- 7 View what IP addresses have accessed Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)
- 8 Configure the Remote Desktop Users Group
What is RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol)
Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) is a proprietary protocol developed by Microsoft, which provides a user with a graphical interface to connect to another computer over a network connection.
How to connect to RDP with Windows PC
Two of the more common options.
- Using mRemote or mRemoteNG (great for managing multiple servers)
- Start > Run: MSTSC
How to connect to RDP with Mac
The most reliable RDP solution for Mac is the Microsoft created app called Microsoft Remote Desktop here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-remote-desktop/id715768417?mt=12.
Another great RDP Client for the Mac is Jump.
How to connect to RDP with Phone or Tablet
There's a few apps that handle RDP. One that is common is iTap RDP for iPhone/iPad.
How to Connect to RDP with TLS 1.0 Disabled
With tls 1.0 disabled on a server you will not be able to use Windows Remote Desktop Client to connect.
- mRemoteNG (Windows)
- In the config settings Use CredSSP will need changed to OFF.
- Remmina (Linux)
- In the Advanced Tab change the Security from Negotiate to RDP.
How to lock down RDP on your VPS to just your IP
- Within the control panel (WCP), from the top menu choose Account VPS Manager.
- Select Firewall Management
- Find Remote Desktop and click the Edit pencil icon
- Set the Port Status to Restricted
- Enter the IP's you want to allow (by default, the system recognized your current IP and enters it for you)
- Click Save
- NOTE: If you are traveling and need temp access to a different IP, just repeat the above steps for the new IP.
View what IP addresses have accessed Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)
In order to see what IPs have accessed your Windows VPS via RDP, please follow the following instructions:
- Click on Start --> Administrative Tools
- Select Event Viewer and open it
- Expand Applications and Services Logs
- Expand Microsoft
- Expand Windows
- Expand TerminalServices-LocalSessionManager
- In the viewing pane, double click on Operational
Each information entry is a connection, reconnection, or disconnection and the IP is logged
Configure the Remote Desktop Users Group
This will show you how to allow a User Account on the VPS to Remote into the VPS via RDP.
- You can do so by following these easy steps:
- RDP into your server with an Administrator account.
- Open the Start Menu.
- Search for "remote" and click on "Select users who can remote desktop"
- Click on the button labelled, "Select Users...".
- Click the "Add..." button.
- Type in the User you want to add here and click the "Check Names" button.
- If you received no errors from the previous step, click on the "OK" button.
- Click the "OK" button two more times and you're good to go!
- For additional information please see Microsoft's Documentation on this feature.